Thursday, May 29, 2008

Update from Virginia

Hi all - I apologize for not updating this sooner with Shawn's tales from Atkins, VA, but work has been a little busy! He made it to Atkins last Friday, and spent the evening in a hostel with a few other hikers. The next morning, as he was waiting for my mail drop to arrive, he hiked out to a local historical society festival and got himself a good southern breakfast! Then, mail drop safely in hand, he headed back to the trail.... only to be sidetracked by a small local winery he passed along the way. After a short tasting session, our hiker was back out on foot. I got a "bonus call" two nights ago from Bland, VA, where a group of hikers decided to go into town and have dinner. Shawn got himself two double cheeseburgers (yes, two) and a blizzard from the local Dairy Queen and then they all settled into a hostel in town for the night.... until they all walked back to the Dairy Queen for another blizzard. He asked me to be sure and tell Chris L. that he crossed Route 77 twice ... ah, city planners. I plan to post his mail drop list in the next few days (its all typed up, I just need to find time to upload it!), and I also received about 500 new photos yesterday. Lucky for me, the camera card was in a box with two smelly shirts and a cool weather sleeping bag that should definitely be aired out. I'll post a selection of the photos soon as well... if anyone is interested in seeing all 500, stop on by!

No comments: