Wednesday, May 21, 2008

TROUTDALE FINE DINING

Quick hello to you all after 16 miles of up and down from a little dining room where I'm enjoying the "best burger in Troutdale," by which they mean the "only" burger in Troutdale. Its a 3 building town: store/restaurant, church/hostel, and post office. Funny, there's internet but no cell reception. Great bacon double cheeseburger with fries and vanilla milkshake though. Spence, thanks for the offer - I'm definitely up for staying with you and will give you a ring as I get closer. As it is, I won't be in Waynesboro until a month from now - bout 6/21. Fun times going over the Grayson Highlands, which includes Virginia's tallest peak Mt. Rogers (5700ft). There are feral ponies everywhere on top of the mountains where its bald, and they love hikers because hikers bring snacks. Lots of foals about too. Been interesting cuz Trail Days allowed people behind us to catch up, so lots of new faces. Tomorrow I will be at Partnership Shelter, which is rumored to have both a shower and a phone from where you can order pizza. Should be fun. Then its only 12 more miles the next day to Atkins, VA for my next mail drop!

2 comments:

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi...Got to love those Burgers and Milkshakes....Must have been fun seeing all the ponies and fouls....too bad you probably didn't have apples for them....Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, they also like mints. Although I'm guessing the places you will be staying won't be offering complimentary mints! Glad to hear you are still going strong. I sent a package to EB to include in your mail drops. I hope its tasty - don't know much about some of the LL Bean pre-packaged foods. Anyway, we're thinking of you!

Allison and the Riley clan