Saturday, May 31, 2008

HOT HUMID PEARISBURG, VA

Hello from Pearisburg, where its 87 degrees today - a perfect day to not hike, and instead hang out by the pool at my hotel, and use the internet at the cute Courthouse Cafe. Virginia has been very kind to us so far, with relatively easy topography, some nice views, beautiful forests and farm fields, and lots of creeks and waterfalls to wade in. Highlights from this last section include the 544 mile mark - which means 25% of the AT is behind me now. A few of us wrote out "25%" on the trail with sticks, which people behind me have reported seeing. A few days later, we passed the 600 mile mark, which is not only important in its own right, but meant we were 25% done with Virginia. Also hit Partnership Shelter a week ago, where there is a phone and pizza delivery menus. A nice treat to have pizza and beer delivered to the woods! Last Saturday was spent at the SW Virginia Settlers Museum, a turn of the century farm and house museum, where a small festival with live bluegrass and amazing food cooked on a turn-of-the-century cast iron stove. Can't beat fresh blackberry cobbler! The next day, I blueblazed a half mile to a winery tasting room, and ended up packing in a bottle of white wine. Couple days after that I got a delicious breakfast from a local church group, and then crossed I-77 in the pouring rain. It rained all day, which can be difficult, but is good weather for doing long miles. Put the mp3 player on, head down, and did my longest day yet - 18.4 miles. I will be leaving Pearisburg either later today or tomorrow morning, depending on the weather. This upcoming stretch takes us on a ridge along the border with West Virginia for 20 miles before we return across the Shenandoah Valley to the blue ridge proper. Once there, we'll be crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway occasionally. I'm excited because I'll get to see friends at the end of the section in Waynesboro, and then Elizabeth in Shenendoah N.P. Everyone is in good spirits, and even C-Bass, who went home last weekend because he was bored with the trail is coming back today. Guess he was more bored at home. Franklin, who I had hiked with back in the Smokies before he had to quit because of shin splints, is also back. One weird aspect of the Trail is the number of stray dogs that seem to be living on the AT, following hikers around. The real oddity is that they are all purebreeds, not the mutts you might expect. I've met a sheepdog, a black lab, a beagle, a rat terrier, and even a chihuahua. Some of the hikers have adopted dogs - one guy took on the sheep dog who had earned the the trail name "Shit Dread" because of the clump of nappy hair hanging off his back end, got him shaved and found 30+ ticks living on him. If he had followed me another mile, I might have grabbed the rat terrier who is really cute. Luckily a pair of hikers picked her up, had her checked out, and christened her "Ginnie" for her home state. The body is feeling great, running strong. I'm definitely more fit than I've ever been, and nothing is bothering me any more than expected. Some foot soreness by the end of the day is about all, and occasionally something random like my quad muscles or big toe or even elbow will hurt for a half hour for no reason. It helps that the pack is nice and light without the winter clothes and bag, though I think I've made up for the lost weight with more of Elizabeth's delicious food. Definitely have the hiker hunger going on - nothing like hitting up Dairy Queen for two double cheeseburgers, fries, soda, and two blizzards. A nice 3000 calorie meal. By the way, I'm getting a day or two ahead of my itinerary schedule, so if you plan on sending anything, try to do it at least a week ahead of time so I don't miss it. Spence - I'll give you a call in a few days when I get to Daleville or Catawba about getting together in Waynesboro.

5 comments:

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

Hey, I just realized...Shawn's been hiking for exactly 2 months today!

Mom Rairigh said...

Sounds like everything is going great...if you keep up this pace and gain more days...Elizabeth might want to adjust drop times in your itinerary....Just a thought...Love hearing about everything...Interesting about the dogs...Love you...Mom

Kim said...

Hi Shawn!
Love hearing how you are doing and glad that everything is going well...getting stronger to tackle the PA and NJ rocks! We're working on sending some stuff to Elizabeth to send out to you...the boys are picking out somme yummy foods...

Spencer C. Payne, M.D. said...

Cool yo. Glad you're still in it and going strong!! Looking forward to catching up. Talk to you soon! -Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hi Shawn - I work with your dad and had a great time talking about your trip with him. A few years back I planned on hiking the AT, but my wife got pregnant, ended up being due in June and well..that was six years ago. Looks like I'll have to wait about 20 more years. Have a great time. If you can audio record yourself, do it. Kind of like a 'Captain's Log.' Can't say I've been this jealous in a while, good luck and safe travels. -Stu Kriss