Monday, March 31, 2008

FINAL THOUGHTS AS I BEGIN

I woke up this morning with Hall & Oates’ “Fall in Philadelphia” which I find fitting and a nice relief from John Lennon’s “Sitting Here Watching the Wheels Go Round” which is also fitting, but has been in my head since last Tuesday’s karaoke. I also woke with some final thoughts and expectations for the Trail before I leave in an hour: I am hoping the trail will teach me patience, and let me see how wonderful life is when lived slowly. I want to accomplish the whole thing, because then what couldn’t I do? I’m looking forward to spending everyday in nature, and seeing the subtle changes of the seasons each day. I am scared about the length of the trail, about how much time I will be away from Elizabeth and home. I’m more scared of not doing it or quitting for weak reasons. I’m scared about hurting myself. I’m scared about being alone and existing on superficial relationships for such a long time, but I’m curious to see what happens when I do. I hope it allows me time to know myself more fully. I hope I will write better journal entries than “hiked 11 miles, it was raining”. I hope I see a bear, but from a safe distance. Same with a moose. I want to learn about trees and be able to identify them. I hope I don’t screw my teeth up from sleeping face down on hard ground every night. I hope the Trail is as rewarding as it is challenging. I hope my friends will come hiking with me at times. I hope Elizabeth forgives me for leaving her alone for so long. I know we will love each other even more than we do now because of this shared experience.

No comments: