Tuesday, September 30, 2008

OFF TO THE WILDERNESS

Just a quick update - still here in Monson. My mail drop still hasn't arrived after a week (and Priority Mail sending) so I am assuming its lost and moving on. Luckily, there is a decent market in town - enough to do a resupply for the next eight days. Very frustrating since this is the fouth time a mail drop did not arrive, despite ample time and 2-day "priority" sending. (Atkins VA, Kent CT, Caratunk ME, Monson ME). Each time, it means wasted effort and money for both Elizabeth and me. At this point, I'd recommend to anyone planning a thru-hike to avoid using the Postal Service as much as possible! As soon as I buy food, my hiker friends and I will head out. We are still aiming for reaching the summit next Wednesday, but I will try and blog as soon as I finish. The weather looks good today and the rivers we must ford should be back down towards normal levels. Plus, we've given enough time for the large group of hikers who left yesterday to get well ahead of us. No sense in crowding in for the last section. Farewell, final town stop!

6 comments:

logstaa said...

Keychain, how's it going!? You're almost there, man! The wildnerness is beautiful, I hope you have good weather. I summitted a last week on the 23rd, and am back in VT. Hope all is well with you. The postal service has definitely let more than a few people down. I was with Hot Tang in Millinocket, and her maildrop never came, so she had to leave without it. Hopefully hers and yours are out there somewhere.

Enjoy your summit, and stay in touch!

- LongShot

Mom Rairigh said...

Good Luck, and look forward to your last blog after you summit !!!!! Love you, Mom

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

Soooooooooooooo exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so hoping that you get to do Knife Edge...Daryl and I didn't get to do it either...we had started too late and we had to watch our time otherwise we would have been hiking down in the dark...we declined... so say hi to Katahdin for me...

love, Kim

megw said...

Shawn,

I'm a friend of Kelly's and have followed your blog all summer long. I got so caught up in where you were, what you were experiencing, who you were meeting, when you crossed from state to state and how each state presented a different challenge. As you are nearing the end, I'm truly amazed at your accomplishment and thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations and best of luck.

-Meghan W.

Unknown said...

shawn
i/we are impressed with your tenacity and gumption to finish this remarkable adventure. good job.
visit us in new haven on your way back to philadelphia. i will be in atlanta until monday, 10.6 but back in new haven that night. there is a warm bed, clean shower, we can go to rudy's for a burger and fries, sleep late. whatever. steve