Thursday, August 21, 2008

A SUNNY DAY IN VERMONT

Hello from the village of South Pomfret, VT - mile 1700ish. Zen and I stopped in to see about snacks at the local store here and found a cute library with dial up. The weather thankfully has turned and today was our best yet - 82 degrees and completely blue skies. But I got to tell you for a while there it has not been pretty. Temps in the 60s and rain for 12 out of 14 days at one point. Tons of mud on the trail, and unhappy stories from southbounders who have experienced New England's wettest summer on record. Vermont has ended a number of thruhikes this year - in fact my buddy Vachon has decided to go home after feeling like he's got what he wanted from the trail experience. A number of others skipped good portions of the muddy trail and waited out the bad weather in towns. I know my own low point came in the last few days, when a huge series of thunderstorms re-wetted the mud that had dried up a bit and I caught some odd cold that has given me a fever and chills. Plus I miss home, miss Elizabeth, miss Camille and all the normal things. Yesterday, I began planning how I could get a train to Philadelphia from Hanover. But it's amazing what good weather and improving health will do for spirits. The last week or so hasn't been all bad either - some fun sites and experiences despite the weather. My first reaction to the mud was to push hard. I did a 22 mile day, my largest since Maryland, and my third largest ever. It was all to get to Stratton Mountain, which I did, and slept in a firetower that night under one of the few clear nights we've had. Pretty cool experience. Climbing Killington, the highest peak on the AT in Vermont was a huge operation, but had an amazing 360-degree view as a reward, with the Adirondacks to the west and Whites to the northeast. We pushed hard to get off the mountain as the temps were falling (it was 43 degrees in the valley that night - would've been in the 30s up top) and ended up staying at the wonderful Inn at Long Trail. Great pub there and a swell hiker discount for rooms that included a yummy breakfast. We have now left the Long Trail and are headed east to Hanover, New Hampshire. Cutting across the ridges means more pointless-ups-and-downs (PUDs), but brings us closer to the farms and towns of the real Vermont. Today included a stop at a farm stand for a delicious pie and ice cream, and now this village. But the days are growing shorter, and everyone like myself who was once carefree and wanted to take the trail slowly is now switching gears and getting ready for the final few states. Hope all is well with everyone. Thanks for all the well wishes -- its nice to know you guys are watching closely. Makes me feel much better, or at least like I'm not doing this alone.

4 comments:

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi Hun.....I'm at the cape and A.Judy and I just read your E-mail...We both say...GO SHAWN...you have come so far you can't quit now...only about 500 miles to go...We are all behind you....GO>>>GO>>>GO...Love, Mom

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

You better not come home now! You have worked entirely too hard not to finish the final 500 miles. I can't wait to tell all my friends when you are finished!! I'm so excited that I get to say my brother hiked the Appalachian trail, so KEEP GOING!!! Just think...the more and faster you hike, the faster you finish!!!

Dad said...

Glad to hear the weather is finally clearing up and your spirits are more positive. With ONLY 500 miles to go, I know you can do it! You know what we say here in Pennsylvania! "Steady wins the race" Sooooooo..... Keep on trekin! Pace yourself and enjoy the ride! I know you will finish Shawn!

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Just catching up with the blog and I say you are never alone...I'm right there with ya! I'm so excited for you and think you're amazing for just tackling the AT from start to finish...