Thursday, August 28, 2008

GLENCLIFF, NEW HAMPSHIRE

Hi all from the hamlet of Glencliff, mile 1,778. Less than 400 miles left! How small is Glencliff? There's four houses and one of them is the post office. I've received the last of my winter gear here and boy is my pack heavy. No more lightweight backpacking! In order to fit everything in, I've got to get rid of the accumulations of summer, so no more patchouli oil or town clothes. Zen and Thinker and I have had great weather since our 3-day stay in Hanover. We've been able to camp on top of mountains both nights out, with amazing skies overhead. Few things in this world beat watching the sunset on one side of your tent, seeing the Milky Way and an amazing amount of stars during the night and then viewing the sunrise from the other side of the tent. On one peak, we could see from Stratton Mtn back in Vermont to Mt. Lafayette ahead in New Hampshire - almost 185 miles of the trail! Tonight we are staying in Glencliff - one of the houses here lets hikers camp in the lawn and shower and gives rides to town. Tomorrow, we will climb Mt. Moosilauke, the first of the Whites and at 3,600ft, its the biggest climb of the trail so far. Immediately following the peak is one of the steepest downhills on the trail to Kinsman Notch, and then right up again. This is the pattern of the Whites - tall peaks and deep notches between ridglines. Within a few days I should pass by Lonesome Lake Hut, one of the first of AMC's huts and the one my cousin Amy worked at for a summer once upon a time. Health is good, though everyone has beat up bodies. My feet, particularly my right, is hurting. After 3 days off in Hanover, it was angrier than it was hiking day after day. It will last though and I'm not concerned about it. My spirits are doing fine too after the low point in Vermont. The weather is a big part of that and it looks good for the week ahead. Passing the 400 mi mark also helps get it in my head that the end is near. Thanks for all your well-wishes and all the other cheer and comfort that family and friends have provided. It means a lot to me to know everyone is watching, hoping for me to complete this thing. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there! P.S. Saw my first moose on the drive to the store tonight - a young male, huge, wandering around in the road. Hopefully I get to see one on foot...

3 comments:

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi...I haven't told you this, but I sure do LOVE reading your blogs and it makes me feel so GOOD inside and so very PROUD of you! Sometimes I get a little teary, both from happiness and feeling bad for you when you have bad weather or your body or feet are hurting...Enjoy the White Mountains...they are beautiful as you and I both know...Spoke to Elizabeth the other night after I talked to Grandpa and A.Sharon...Grandpa was so VERY VERY happy to see you !!!! I love you very much and my thoughts are always with you...you are definetly on the home stretch!!!!...Love, Mom

Dad said...

Sounds like you are in good "Positive" spirits! Keep up the good spirits and positive effort! You will make it Shawn! Enjoy the Whites! Take in the scenery. The 400 miles will go quickly too!

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Yo Dude, Vachon here.
I'm enjoying reading about your hike WAY more than I was enjoying hiking that thing. I miss you and all the other folks out there but being here w/ ML,James,Maddy,Robert and Eisheh is feeling SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice. Keep on truckin and give my love and best wishes to Thinker, Brahma and Sweet Potato,Zen et al. Happy Trails!!
PS to Elizabeth--> GREAT job of putting this blog online!! TY