Friday, June 13, 2008

Ahead of Schedule... and in Glasgow, VA

I got a call from Glasgow, VA, this morning (pretty much in the center of this map - if you click on it, it should get bigger), where Shawn was supposed to arrive tomorrow. Our fast-moving thru-hiker is now officially quite a bit ahead of his original schedule, even despite the heat. He should even pass the 800-mile mark in the next few days!!! He now anticipates arriving in Waynesboro, VA, on Wednesday (where he was supposed to be next Friday or Saturday).... I’d estimate that Shawn is about 2 days ahead of where he thought he would be. I will try to update the mail drop list, and repost it, but in the meantime, if you are mailing packages, be sure to send them early!

I was lucky enough to get a flower delivery from the trail at the office this morning just before he called! And I got to have dinner last night with Teresa, whose boyfriend Johnny Thunder is also on the trail with Shawn. It was so great to chat with someone who completely understands what its like to have him away, and to hear stories from her trip to the trail over Memorial Day weekend. So, overall, a good couple of days here in Philly!

I’m headed down to visit next weekend, originally to Waynesboro and now to somewhere around Big Meadows Lodge in the Shenandoah. Can’t wait!!!

3 comments:

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi Elizbeth....The flowers are beautiful....and what a nice thought and surprise...PLUS...you got to talk to Shawn....only one week and you will be able to talk to him in person....Know you CAN'T wait !!!!!!

steve said...

I am super impressed this is great news. Have Shawn kiss the half way marker for Ben, Andy, Jenny and me. I hope we can meet up in Vermont

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

This is awesome that he's hiking so fast in the heat. Makes me feel like the laziest piece of ish ever! I love the flowers....they're such a nice "pick me up"!