Monday, April 07, 2008

HELLO FROM CLOUD9

Hi everyone! I can't write for long as there is a line for the computer, but I am sitting in a delightful place called Cloud9 Hiker Hostel and Trout Farm in Hiawasee, GA. I've done about 68 miles of the Trail, and have only a day or two more in Georgia before I hit the rollercoaster mountains of North Carolina. The trail has been tough so far but not as bad as I expected, and mu body is holding up very well, though the feet began protesting yesterday afternoon since they knew a day off was coming. This hostel is great - jacuzzi, horseshoes, pool table, free ride to town for groceries, a big cookout and bonfire tonight. Perfect after 6 days of solid hiking, especially given the weather. Its rained at some point every day except one, and on the few sunshine days, it gets into the upper 70s and sunburn through the leafless trees is a factor. The longest day so far - 13.5 miles, was also on the toughest terrain with two 1000ft drops and two thousand foot climbs, and it was solid rain and 55 degrees all day and night. But it was done with gusto because a local BoyScout troop was cooking burgers at the destination, and after 3 burgers, a hot dog, 2 bowls of soup, a pile of cookies, and other snacks, a great sleep was had. The best part of the Trail is the people hiking with me, and the first day out I was introduced to M&M and Pootz who hiked the trail last year and left me with two delicious beers that day and have stashed some bourbon along the Trail in North Carolina for me to find later. I also met SlowGoin at the Lodge, who seemed a bit crazy at first but has quickly become a great companion. Lots of others, too many to mention now. I will try and write again when i get to Wesser, NC in about a week. Until then, take care all and thanks for the support. A special shout out to Mom, whose cookies were well-received by me and a dozen other wet and cold hikers at Neels Gap. More to come!

5 comments:

Mom Rairigh said...

What a treat! Thanks for keeping us posted and I'm glad you're doing ok. Glad you got my cookies and that you could. You got it made at the hostel...just stay there!!

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi...Trying to leave a commment...

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

Sorry for all the comments posted by mom...I spent a good 45 minutes trying to get her set up with an account so she could post things. Good lord! Don't be afraid of the internet Mom...it won't bite you! Shawn, I know you won't be able to read this for a long time, but I'm so excited to hear that you're having a great time. I can't imagine the type of people you're meeting and the sights you're seeing. I am always thinking about you and have been checking the blog site pretty much obsessively on the days where we are supposed to hear from you to make sure you're ok! Can't wait to hear more about your hike!!

Mom Rairigh said...

Hi...It was wonderful hearing from you...soooooo glad I have a computer...Sorry it has been rainy, but looks like better weather this week...Enjoy your "Comfy" stay tonight...then off again in the morning...Look for more cookies along the way....Talked to Elizabeth, she is holding up pretty well, or so it seems....We all think about you everyday, and I'm so glad you have hooked up with some compainions to hike with....I Love you...Mom
P.S.,Burgers, Hotdogs, Soup and BEER....Can't get much better than that!!!

Kim said...

Hi Shawn! Glad to see that you're doing good. We're following your hike with a map and stickers to mark where you've been. Everyone, from grocery store clerks to friends at church know that "Uncle Shawn" is hiking the Appalachian trail! Keep going!!!