Monday, April 28, 2008

Treats!

Hello all! I got to talk to Shawn a few times this weekend, as he took a "zero day" in Hot Springs … as always, it was so good to talk to him!

He asked me to pass along one request regarding packages sent to him on the trail: letters, postcards, and treats that can be consumed in one sitting, by him plus a few hiking friends (i.e. cookies, rice crispy treats, etc), are always appreciated, and have been welcome encouragement during the past month of hiking. But he asked that if anyone is thinking of sending more substantial food items, that they be sent to me in Philly first so I can incorporate them into his existing set of mail drops.... this is just to cut down on the overall weight he has to carry. (I promise to give full credit to any food providers!)

Usually his mail drop packages have been weighing in between 7-10 pounds, depending on how many days have been included, and whether maps or other necessities are also in the box. This is on the edge of how much food weight he would like to carry, so if you’re interested in sending Shawn some treats, please get in touch and I can let you know whether to send them on yourself, or if its best to send them to me….

As an FYI, his scheduled mail drops are mailed out from our office (thanks, KSK!!) about a week before they need to be there, and include individually portioned breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, as well as snacks like trail mixes, cookies, and granola bars. Apparently these meals has been a hit on the trail, with fellow hikers asking what Keychain is having for dinner. Our officemates have been excellent at helping me "taste test" some treats I've baked from recipes found in hiker cookbooks and online. I'll be posting a list of what I've included in his mail drops so far later this week.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone that has been supporting his trek so far – we both appreciate it so very much!!!

1 comment:

Mom Rairigh said...

Thanks for the tip about the food...when I send him cookies it is usually about a dozen so not a lot...I realize he has to carry that weight....Thanks for all your information....Bev