Thursday, April 03, 2008

Georgia on my mind

oops.... I think I am hoping he walks faster than he is... note to self: check map, then post. He's still in Georgia, at least for a day or so. I was thinking of the next mail drop he'll get, which is, in fact, in North Carolina... sorry for any confusion for those following along on a map!! Just had a wonderful, but sadly brief, conversation with Shawn, who has made it to Neels Gap in Georgia. This was the destination for mail drop #1, which was sent out about 2 weeks ago and waiting for him when he arrived! He also said he got a package from his mom (cookies, I believe), that he was really looking forward to opening. All is going well on the trail - weather, food supply, water supply, knees, feet, and back are all doing just fine. He slept the first night in the shelter with about 8 other hikers, but since then has been sleeping in his tent. So far so good... I think we'll be talking again on Saturday or Sunday, depending on how fast the next few days go - that will be able to be a longer conversation as he's planning on spending the night in a town. It was so good to hear his voice, even if only for 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you (Elizabeth) got to talk to Shawn...I've been thinking about you...and Camille...glad to know Shawn made it to his first destination...the blog is really an awesome thing to have for knowing how things are going with you and Shawn...friends and family have also really enjoyed it! We have our map and have been following Shawn's hike...Gavin drew his own map, which I'm sending off to Shawn for his next mail drop...if he follow's Gavin's map, he'll have no problem getting to Maine!

love,
Kim

Kel (L'il Sis) said...

I was going to say the same thing about Elizabeth taking the time to keep us all informed right away! I love hearing that he's doing okay and traveling well. I will have to look closer at the itinerary so that I can send him something, even if it's just a note that says hi from good ol' Philly! Mike and I went to a phillies game last night and at the end, there were A-hole fans throwing things onto the field (we almost got hit by a water bottle), but it made me think of Shawn and how he would be disgusted by his fellow Philadelphians. Thank goodness he's getting a nice break from the madness around here! Although 6 months is too long of a break!!

Dad said...

Thanks so much Elizabeth for keeping us all informed! The blog is a great way of communication for everyone! Keep up the great work Liz!

Six months is a huge block of time to get off work and just find yourself your inner most being. What a great way for anyone to test their physical, mental, emotional well being! Wish my bosss would give us teachers/coaches off six months to go on the Applachian Trail and enjoy nature's wonderful bound!

Coach M. Rairigh