Thursday, February 28, 2008

TRAIL NAMES

One of the more fun aspects of this trip is coming up with a trail name. It seems most hikers don't go by their real names, but assume some sort of new identity. I suppose its a way of completing the escape from working life and creating a new trail life, and it probably helps bond hikers to each other and the challenge itself.

Usually the name comes from a character trait, like "Old Man" or "Wingfoot" or the person's original name, like "Mountain Laurel". They also come from happenings on the trail: I've heard of a "JumpStart", who started his thru-hike by parachuting from a plane, or "The Rhymin' Worm" who would leave little rhymes for entries in the trail registers. One of the best has to be Greg "Pooh" Knoettner, who got his name after sitting down too hard, breaking a bottle of honey and coating everything inside his pack.

I've been trying to come up with a name before I go, if only to avoid being named "Farts in His Sleep" or "Toiletpaper Tail" or something else embarrassing by my trailmates. Its tough, and I suspect I won't settle on one until I'm out there. At first I thought of names like "Hilladelphia" or "Medium Rair" but I think my best potential names have come from my favorite soft drink: "Mountain Dewde" or "Mountain Do". Elizabeth ruled out "Mountin' Dude".

All suggestions are welcome...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ten Feet,
Crazy Feet,
Ten Feat,
Feat of Crazy,
Dewin Ten Feet,
Dewin 120,
This is fun!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kel (L'il Sis) said...

phenominal philadelphian (okay, that is way too long and in no way good, but I'm down with alliteration!)